Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Number One

I’ve always wanted to write. Not because I am good at it. I wouldn’t know. I’ve never written anything other than my GCSE Essays. The one-year I spent at LCF, only one essay was required of me. So I am quite out of touch with my English. But through my twenties its something I definitely want to improve. That’s part of the reason why I decided to go to university so late; I’m 24 now and am only starting my second year. The main reason was to improve my English skills. Although I didn’t choose the best course to do that, it gives me lots of opportunities to present myself to an audience, so spoken English in a professional manner is a must. It seems im caught up in today’s slang. I can’t find the words to express myself maturely and intelligently. So you’ll generally hear me say things like “ it’s long” or “Chief” at any wrongdoing.

Acquiring the correct English, not only makes you seem so much more intelligent, it also makes people take you seriously. All the younger generations are speaking slang and failing at school. I don’t want my younger siblings following in this declining society. How can I expect them to make use of our great language if I don’t? I think the shock that prompted me on this topic was seeing my 10 year olds sister’s friend’s, face book status. It was invaded with spelling errors. At the age of 10 I could spell competently. So why cant these kids I ask myself? Its as though they haven’t been to school. So what’s my excuse? No im not that bad, but my English skills are not up to scratch but that’s because I’ve let them down.

It may of taken me till the age of 24 to realise I need to better myself and use my brain, but if I want to set an example, and hope others aspire to be better, ill have to start with number one.

No comments:

Post a Comment